Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sympathy Pains

I can feel your pain
Multiplied times my own
But isn't that what love does
It makes tears impossible to hold
Witches circle our last sparks of fire
Sink their yellowed teeth into our ribs
Until their molten, bloodied saliva
Is the only fluid we are given to live
The devil's arthritic hands
Tied the noose that broke our streak
The lineage of smiles and laughter
Is splintered, forced and weak
Every grin becomes a betrayal
Every good day a stride away
From a memory you don't want to lose
Like a rainbow fading to grey
You struggle to remember a voice
You only hear it in your dreams
The brush of whiskers on your cheek
Just smoke that billows out of reach
The rise and fall of sweet breath
From his side of the bed
The imprint on his pillow
From the pressure of his pompadoured head
I will sit me down beside your stone
So your presence will never part
If I can't hear you singing
I will listen to the stillness of your heart
Invite you to haunt my existence
And I will never have to say goodbye
I will break beneath your weight
Just to feel you one last time

No comments:

Post a Comment