Thursday, November 10, 2011

Never Met A River

I never met a river
Like the one that lies behind
Murky as the Mississippi
And winding as the Rhine
Lord knows it wasn't pretty
My stroke not so refined
But I'd never met a river
Like the one that lies behind

If you stood on the shoreline
If your toes never got wet
If you hid behind sandcastles
And felt richer for my debt
If you mocked my sloppy motion
Saying you could do it best
And held back your penicillin
From the slivers in my chest

I leave you in the shadows
I leave you on the banks
I leave our memories in ashes
They give no heat to my flame
I part with final words
But in them you'll find no thanks
I leave you in the cattails
To receive what you gave

You see, I never met a river
Like the one that lies behind
They say they can cross with ease
Yet pray that they never have to try

2 comments: