Saturday, September 24, 2016

Friend Genuine

I’ve never dreamed so brightly
No, I’ve never burned so red
Every girl before her
Just gray inside my head
She doesn’t like to dance
But she doesn’t know this truth
That she moves just like the pink
In the sunrise on the moon

I know just how I’d touch her
The first time that we kiss
My hand upon her face
My clutch upon her hips
I’d pull her close as a prayer
From the last breath of Christ
Lean in slow as mist
Soft as dandelions

But I will leave hope, leave this dream
Lay it down, turn from its heat
I’ll be no lover, not your heart’s queen
Your unrequited, friend genuine

I never saw her coming
This star the sky can’t give
She came around the corner
And I’ve yet to catch my breath
But she’ll never hear these words
No, she’ll never see this ink
The silence of my heart
Is the best love I can bring

All I want is to be good
To bring that smile to her face
Make her laugh when laughter
Is the one sound she can’t place
And I know just how to do it
Yes, I know just where to stand
It is not beside you
But darling, I have got your back

So I will leave hope, leave this dream
Lay it down, turn from its heat
I’ll be no lover, not your heart’s queen
Your unrequited, friend genuine


No comments:

Post a Comment