Friday, April 22, 2011

Natalie Maines

I'm gonna sing a song with Natalie Maines
A Taylor guitar slung across my chest
With diamonds drifting down from yellow lights
A rosary around my neck
She's gonna grin at me from stage right
With glitter in her eyes
I'll smile back with a wink and a nod
Look up and thank heaven that I'm alive

I'm gonna sip coffee with James Dean
A New York cafe around 1953
With rain accenting our insomniac laughter
Cigarette ashes on his knee
We're gonna eat cherry pie and ice cream
Til the sun kisses the Brooklyn Bridge
He'll take his fingers, run them through his hair
Reach for my hand and raise it to his kiss

I'm gonna watch 'Shrek' with Neve Campbell
Butter soaked popcorn and a tall glass of milk
With fireflies drifting all around us
A blanket of red chenille
And we will laugh like the Euphrates flows
Strong with crests sweet as tangerines
She'll hand me a tissue to clear my giddy eyes
With a smile that suggests it's all just a dream

But I'm gonna sing a song with Natalie Maines
A Taylor guitar slung across my chest
With diamonds drifting down from yellow lights
A rosary around my neck

No comments:

Post a Comment