Thursday, June 2, 2011

Green Bananas

Green bananas on the stem
And I sit and watch the sun
It slowly rolls from east to west
As I bite the nail upon my thumb
I wait for them to ripen
From olive to saffron
I dream of their juices
And the day they take to blonde
It's a tedious job in the jungle
To spend your days craning your neck
Swatting at thirsty mosquitoes
That want to throw you off the edge
Futility rules paramount
And straight to the devil's hands
I climb up to the mountaintop
And dangle my foot over the expanse
I smile at the graveled voices
That whisper inside my head
You've waited for the heavens to notice you
Now crash through their gates instead
There's an escape hatch in the soil
Six feet beneath the trees
Their dance, it looks so pretty
When you're down on your knees
But macaws call me homeward
And I stagger back down the trail
I follow their distant song
When my sense of direction has failed
They tell me I must bide my time
And they promise a change to come
So I sit beneath my green bananas
I sit and watch the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment