Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dylan, You Lied

Dylan told me a lie
Said nothing but the world to gain
Said no more rivets, said no more chains
Told me no more digging graves
With a voice like a tuft of smoke
How could I turn that faith away
When with every word he spoke
Another color entered the grey
He's thrown his arm around me
In some black dawn Milwaukee night
He laid his hand within mine
Like God lays His love into the light
With eyes of blue sapphire
I'd trail him anywhere he go
Whether through the hue of the twilight
Or to the carnage of down below
So I follow him through a song
And laid my hope upon his tongue
Pretty words that lured me onward
Finer words never sung
Dylan, you told me a lie
And it's to the down below we've come
Should I shadow you forward
Breathe your voice into my lungs
Cling to it now more than ever before
That the ceiling is higher than it's been
Splice myself open with vinyl
And let a poet's prayer bleed in






1 comment: