Thursday, January 20, 2011

Folk Songs

You still come to me
In the spaces in between
Where tears surrender to peace
And the wolves unclenched their teeth
When I forget to look behind me
Instead to follow the inching of the sun
You whisper in my ear
And place a song upon my tongue
Not to hold me back
And not to bring me down
But rather we may sing together
I, earthbound and you from a cloud
Just like in that old theatre
Our cadence melts together again
I can feel you riding shotgun
Like the willow feels the kiss of the wind
And in the song you gave me
Lay your intent in the first note
A dusting of reassurance
That the knife is withdrawn from the throat
The currents that filled my lungs
Have reached a tranquil quell
The ghosts that furrowed my brow
Have succumbed to a merciful spell
Steady one foot in front of the other
And eventually you'll arrive
To the spaces in between
Where your soul and mine softly collide

No comments:

Post a Comment