Sunday, August 9, 2009

Am I A Prophet?

Am I a prophet?
To my brother I saw that you would fall
And temptation would be the hands
That would push you down upon your knees
Into hypocrisy's quicksands
You spoke to me of Jesus
And told me I was damned
So easy to be righteous when the devil is not at hand
A dead and plastic love
At an urgent and racing speed
An insemination of innocence
And a fool's false belief
A coaxing of a disciple
And I ask...am I a prophet?

Am I a prophet?
To you my old and dearest friend
I saw you would not rise up
From these sexual soils
That cover you in sludge
You'd cry to me of tragedy
And I'd try to guide your way
Until I realized
This is the game you wanted to play
A sad and sorry girl
With sad and sorry boys
Whose only real concern
Is which one will make her make more noise
The prostitution of a school girl
And I ask...am I a prophet?

Am I a prophet?
To you my once godsend
I saw that you would leave
Before these emerald trees
Blew that frigid breeze
You told me you would never change
But both my feet did not fall in
Because if they had I would be lying
Six feet under, somewhere in Franklin
A confused once angel of God
Living a confused once angelic life of grace
Trying to prove to herself who she is
Trying to replace me with another's face
The constitution of an anarchist
And I ask...am I a prophet?

1 comment:

  1. Very deep. Your writing is challenging me. I can see that I am going to have to re-connect with my inner being in order to keep up. Either that or I'll have to take a yoga class.

    ReplyDelete